Rio Grande School has challenged, inspired, and nurtured students since 1978.
Our graduates are enthusiastically welcomed at the middle school of their choices, most commonly Santa Fe Preparatory School and less commonly, but often, Desert Academy and St. Michael's. It has been cited by educators at those schools that RGS graduates possess above-average critical-thinking skills, have a healthy curiosity about and respect for the world and the environment, and perform at advanced levels in most, if not all, academic areas.
In the spring of 2015, an independent marketing consulting organization conducted surveyed a total of 139 alumni regarding the value proposition and return on investment of RGS. With a 27% participation rate from students who graduated between the years of 2003 and 2014, the survey yielded the following highlights:
- 96% said RGS students have the ability to engage effectively with adults and are responsible for their own learning
- 96% said RGS provided them with the ability to access, structure, evaluate and use information rather than learn only facts.
- 92% said RGS developed my skills as an independent thinker.
- 92% said RGS helped me apply knowledge in a variety of contexts to serve the greater community.
In evaluating 87 RGS graduates who attended Santa Fe Preparatory School between the years 2011 and 2020, the following was noted:
- Average score on the Spanish language AP: 4.67 out of 5. All graduates scored above a 4.
- Average score on the English Literature AP: 4.33 out of 5. All graduates scored above a 4.
- Average score on the Physics AP: 4.67 out of 5. All graduates scored above a 4.
- 9 students (10%) served on student council.
- 45 students (52%) played at least one Varsity sport (25% were captains; 18% were scholar athletes)
- 19 students (22%) consistently made Honor Roll, and 8 were Cum Laude. Three of the students were National Merit Scholars, and 2 were commended National Merit Scholars.
- 18 students received a total of 33 awards, among them, the History Award, the Community Service Award, and the Math Award.
- 2 students were AP scholars; 1 was a Davidson scholar, 1 was a National Achievement scholar
- The 2014 Valedictorian was a RGS graduate.
CONNECT WITH RGS
The School is actively building a strong alumni community, with many former students now returning to the school to educate their own children. Please complete this form if you are interested in reconnecting with your alma mater. We'd love to share what's changed and what remains at our core!