Rio Grande School, a private independent elementary school for students in pre-kindergarten through sixth grade, is seeking candidates for the following positions:
Director of Finance and Operations
Rio Grande School is seeking a Director of Finance and Operations for a start date of July 1, 2020. This position provides an excellent opportunity to join a vibrant and inviting community set in the foothills of beautiful Santa Fe, NM. The DFO is responsible for overseeing the school’s finances, campus operations, and human resources. Ideal candidates will have a strong background in financial management and analysis, possess good interpersonal skills, enjoy working in a school environment, and appreciate the unique opportunity that living in Santa Fe provides. RGS has a yearly operating budget of 3 million, a 6 million dollar endowment, and currently carries no debt. Additionally, 38% of our families are awarded financial assistance each year.
Rio Grande School is a small, coeducational, nonsectarian independent school for approximately 165 children in pre-kindergarten through sixth grade. The school strives to inspire a lifelong journey of learning and self-discovery that empowers students to find their own true passions and transforms the way they think about, engage with, and impact their world.
The DFO reports directly to the Head of School and works closely with both the administrative team and the board of trustees.
- Work with the Head of School and the Finance Committee of the Board of Trustees to plan for the school’s strategic financial future;
- Prepare and financial reports required by the Head of School and the Finance Committee of the Board. This includes making necessary changes in the reporting systems to ensure that these reports are always up-to-date;
- Prepare and monitor the annual budget and monitor under the guidance of the Head of School;
- Produce the payroll on time, as well as provide accurate information and reports to state and federal agencies concerning payroll taxes, etc;
- Record, file and accurately track the accounts payables and receivables;
- Prepare all school financial records for the annual audit. Provide information as needed to assure successful completion of annual audit and tax reporting;
- Accurately document and update all accounting policies and procedures;
- Compile information for the Investment Committee and Head of School to manage cash flow and short-term investments to maximize the school’s return.
- Prepare and issue student contracts; administer all payment programs.
Human Resources Management
- Implement and Manage retirement and employee benefits programs;
- Maintain appropriate employee records/reports;
- Understand, implement, and explain all regulations and filing requirements regarding these plans in coordination with pension consultants;
- Prepare and issue all employment contracts.
- Oversee the school’s maintenance program and manage the usage of the school’s facilities;
- Work with the Head of School and the Buildings & Grounds Committee of the Board of Trustees to facilitate the campus master plan and to plan for large building and maintenance projects;
- Work with the Head of School to review and implement the school’s Crisis Response Plan;
- Supervise the Director of Maintenance and the janitorial staff.
Other Administrative Responsibilities
- Supervise the school’s bookkeeper;
- Complete any special projects or tasks assigned by the Head of School. Special assignments have included preparing NAIS, ISAS and other reports, serving as the RGS liaison to the bank, conducting salary surveys, researching information on employee benefits, etc.;
- Organize and attend Finance, Investment, and Building and Grounds Committee meetings; attend Board of Trustee, staff, and administrative team meetings.
- Oversee the school’s hot lunch program.
- Assist with morning pick-up and afternoon drop-off and office coverage, as requested.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Head of School.
Required Skills and Competencies:
- A strong independent school finance background (CPA and/or MBA preferred);
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills;
- Knowledge of business accounting procedures, practices, and software programs;
- Comprehensive knowledge of school operations, including human resources, facilities, and financial management;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Exceptional organizational skills;
- Strong supervisory experience;
- A collaborative orientation and sense of humor.
Rio Grande School does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, sexual orientation, gender identify, religion, and national or ethnic origin in its hiring practices.