A great school is supported by great parents. Our parents are involved actively in the life of the school, participating in activities, such as helping teachers with hands-on projects, offering to drive on field trips, or coordinating relief efforts for people in need. The Rio Grande School Parent Association (PA) supports the school by providing a structure for parent volunteers through committees and school activities for parents and children.
Programs Sponsored by the PA
The PA partners with the school to provide outstanding parent education programs that support Rio Grande School's mission. Recently, the PA partnered with the School's Director of Technology, Dave Ritzmann to present Keeping Your Kids Safe Online. In the past, the PA partnered with Adele Faber, co-author of several best-selling books including How to Talk So Kids Will Listen, and Listen So Kids Will Talk. The PA has also sponsored special co-curricular programs for students, including a course in personal safety.
The PA also works with Board committee and volunteer parents to help produce the following events and activities:
- Cultural Events for the students during the school year drawing on the diversity and richness of the area. Some recent cultural events have included a visit from Dr. Jane Goodall, acrobats from China, and a performance by a children's opera company;
- The Annual Gathering in the fall, a social event to kick-off the new school year;
- Hospitality provides refreshments at parent and school-wide special events and performances;
- The Country Fair, an afternoon in early September to kick off the new school year, at which the whole family can join in carnival games and activities;
- The Gala, an auction event held each Spring to raise money for the School's tuition assistance program;
- The Book Fair, held each spring, at which students and parents order from a wide variety of selections of quality children's literature.
- Various fundraising initiatives, including a rummage sale, partnerships with local businesses for a percentage of sales, and spirit wear.